Deaf genetics

theodorn at medlib.georgetown.edu theodorn at medlib.georgetown.edu
Thu Oct 29 11:42:33 EST 1998

In article <36382BCB.1696DC03 at ic.ac.uk>,
  lucy hall <matthew.toghill at ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask the opinion of anyone on this newsgroup about a
> question I am researching for a degree in deaf studies.  Given that many
> deaf people regard themselves as a linguistic and social minority rather
> than a disabled group what would be the opinion of anyone on this
> newsgroup about the recent advances in isolating a deaf gene so that it
> can be irradicated.  Any replys would be very welcome.
>
>                                 thanks
>
>                                 Lucy

I recall that a mutation in one of the connexin genes (Cx26?) is responsible
for at least some cases of familial deafness.  You might want to check the
Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) at the National Center for
Biotechnology Information (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/).  Click on the
"OMIM" link; it has a searchable database.  Hope this helps.

Nick Theodorakis