.ace and doube quotes

Detlef Wolf D.Wolf at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 25 11:32:19 EST 1994

Thu Aug 25 17:55:44 MDT 1994  dok256
.ace and doube quotes  -- a nightmare

Reason:
if there are double quotes in the data it
is not possible to dump the database and get
back to same state by reloading that dump

Method:
using ACEDB 3.1 as of 14.July 94
or the
with ACEDB 3.3 from_ncbi as of 94-07-30 with:

the model:
?Sequence other_features ?Text Text Text Text
or
?Motif Text Text Text   (from ACEDB 3.3)

read .ace file:
Sequence "a1"
other_features "1a" "2" "3"
other_features "\"1b" "2" "\"3"
other_features "\""1c" "2" "\""3"

displayed as:
a1                                        Attach...   Quit

  Features    other_features      1a      2   3
                                  1b      2   3
                                  "1c     2   "3

dumped as:
// data dumped from tree display

Sequence : "a1"
other_features	 "1a" "2" "3"
other_features	 "1b" "2" "3"
other_features	 ""1c" "2" ""3"

reading that dump is displayed as:
a2                                        Attach...   Quit

  Features    other_features      1a      2   3
                                  1b      2   3

EMBL data contains a lot of double quotes which I would like
to keep. I think this is such a silly bug and should be fixed.

The problem is probably with these lines in w1/freesubs.c:

	    else if (*in == '"') /* restore backslash for freeword to read */
	      }
why is " replaced by \ in the current position and the next position set to " ?

Detlef

Detlef Wolf,   European Data Resource for Human Genome Research
eMail: D.Wolf at dkfz-heidelberg.de  phone: +49 6221 42 -2331   fax: -2333
sMail: DKFZ (German Cancer Research Centre), Abt. Molekulare Biophysik (0810)
       Im Neuenheimer Feld 280,  69120 Heidelberg,  Germany