ACEDB '94 Highlights

Bradley K. Sherman bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov
Fri Jul 29 17:50:30 EST 1994

In article <9407292033.AA09442 at greengenes.cit.cornell.edu> matthews at GREENGENES.CIT.CORNELL.EDU ("Dave Matthews") writes:
>I assume a lot of exciting things happened at the Montpellier workshop.  And
>that somebody's planning to report it to the rest of us.  Hope so, we're
>waiting with bated breath.

Just to get the ball rolling here is what I felt were the highlights:

   *  Jean & Richard are planning on returning ACEDB to a single
      core distribution.

   *  The ACEDB kernel will be a database manager and a set of
      display primitives (a layer on top of X11).  "Approved"
      special purpose displays will be built on top of this
      kernel.  Developers should avoid bypassing the kernel
      primitives so as to maximize portability.

      In this way, the two lower levels (database + display primitives)
      constitute ACEDB.  Non-text displays are allowed to be
      idiosyncratic.

   *  Otto Ritter's group announced a way to use ACEDB on top of
      Sybase, such that ACEDB calls result in data fetched directly
      from SYBASE.

   *  Jaime Prilusky, while at the workshop, produced a demonstration
      mechanism for calling Mosaic from ACEDB as a help mechanism.
      I believe that Jean is laboring mightily to get this into
      the next distribution.

   *  Sam Cartinhour, John Morris, Steffan Bergh and John McCarthy
      have captured the list of "magic tags".  These are tags that,
      if included in the models.wrm file, have special meanings in
      the context of ACEDB displays.

   *  Steffan Bergh created AboutDB; an ACEDB about ACEDB

I am sure that I am slighting the efforts of many participants
here and misrepresenting the efforts of others.  My brain does
not function well at the average temperature of a Montpellier
summer. Others should feel free to correct me.

    --bks

--
Bradley K. Sherman                  Computer Scientist
Dendrome Project                    510-559-6437  FAX: -6440
Institute of Forest Genetics        bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov
P.O. Box 245, Berkeley, CA 94701    http://s27w007.pswfs.gov/People/bks.html