Write Access

Gerard R. Lazo grl6732 at rigel.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 8 08:16:00 EST 1994

jld at bioch.ox.ac.uk (Joanne Dicks) writes...

>I'm having a problem with acedb and am wondering if anyone can set me
>straight on it. I recently converted to version 3.0 for Solaris and
>haven't had many problems with it. However for the last couple of
>days I haven't been able to get Write Access. The option is missing
>from the main pull-down menu. The environment variable ACEDB_SU is
>definitely set to TRUE, so it's not that and my username is in
>passwd.wrm. Besides which, I was able to load in files last week.
>It's probably something very small and stupid on my part so I hope
>someone recognizes the problem and can help me out. Thanks.

I was having a similar problem (I should try reading the documentation
sometime); however, I found in my case that the permissions for the
/acedb30/database directory needed to be changed for writing. Likewise,
fror updating the database I needed to change permissions for
/acedb30/database/blocks.wrm for writing changes. I don't think
think setenv ACEDB_SU was set, but I was able to read *.ace files with
no problem. I hope this helps your situation.
                                              /
Gerard R. Lazo                   . %.        (=)   GLAZO at tamsun.tamu.edu
USDA-ARS                        (.(  .)       /     Off: 409-260-9533
Southern Crops Research Lab.   ( ( .) .) ->  (=)     Lab: 409-260-9522
Route 5, Box 805                %_( ._)       /       Fax: 409-260-9333
College Station, TX 77845        //\|        (=)
                                ((            /     lazo at genome.tamu.edu