libXaw.so.5 problem on Solaris

Richard Durbin rd at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 10:02:39 EST 1994

It seems this is a file permission problem.  You must run non-setuid
to eliminate it.  I don't know why this problem arises only with this
library, but for now put it down to yet another SOLARIS inconsistency/bug.

While on the subject, SUN now admit that the Openwindows 3 server is bugged
in "Click to Select" mode (the default) in a way that (a) sometimes causes
the whole screen to hang when double clicking too fast in ACEDB, (b) causes
funny lines to appear with middle button dragging before centering in ACEDB.
You can fix these by going to "Point to select" in "Preferences" from the
Openwindows root menu -- I would welcome help in finding workarounds in the
ACEDB graph library code.

If you need write access for multiple users (the reason for setuid) I suggest
you set up a group and give group read/write access to the database files.

Ricahrd