Getting WWW/Mosaic interface to display map graphics??

Staffan Bergh staffan at
Tue Nov 8 02:11:23 EST 1994

In article <39lvqn$39ca at> Martin Ferguson
(mferguso at writes:

>I just set up a www interface to our ACeDB Aedes aegypti database.

Welcome to the gang, Martin!

>I've noticed that when accessing AAtDB or ACeDB vi Mosaic, and looking
>at a chromosome map, you see the graphic.  On the one I set up
>( you only get a list of the loci on
>that particular chromosome map.
>My question: how do I get Mosaic to display the chromosome map

Briefly: you need to set up GhostScript to translate the graphics into
GIF, and (possibly) set a few environmental variables. The defaults
are such that if you have GS installed in the 'right' place and do
nothing else, then you get clickable maps. My guess is that you're
missing ghostscript! It's a GNU program, available from many places.

This is described in Guy's installation instructions, at

>Thanks to any and all.
>/s/     Martin

Staffan Bergh
Biochemistry, KTH, S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden

MycDB, The mycobacterial database --
AboutDB, The database about ACEDB --

email: staffan at           + Don't let that horse eat that violin
phone: int+46 8 790 8758                +               cried Chagall's mother
fax: int+46 8 24 54 52                  + but he kept right on painting
                                        +             -- Lawrence Ferlinghetti