compiling ace3.4a on SGI

Detlef Wolf D.Wolf at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Mon Nov 14 13:14:31 EST 1994

compiling ace3.4a on SGI; I suggest to change 3 things:

1.
cc -Wf,-XNh2000 -g -DNO_LEFT_CASTING -I../wh -I../whooks  -DACEDB -DSGI  -c -c parse.c
cfe: Error: parse.c, line 642: Type void  of returning expression is incompatible with type void  of function return type
 { return openCprsFile(0) ;
 --^
cfe: Error: parse.c, line 646: Type void  of returning expression is incompatible with type void  of function return type
 { return openCprsFile('Z') ;
 --^
cfe: Error: parse.c, line 650: Type void  of returning expression is incompatible with type void  of function return type
 { return openCprsFile('g') ;
 --^

please remove the "return" because there is nothing returned.

2.
Since the object file for disknew.c was so empty, I added
-DACEDB3 to wmake/SGI_DEF

3.
in truemake:
\rm abi
should be changed into
\rm -f abi
otherwise you get an error on the first time and abi is not set up
as a link.

--------------------------------
now a am loading the GDB data from a compressed file :-)
However, the user interface is confusing:
in the ".ace file parser" window, after selecting a .Z file,
this .Z extension is not reflected in the filename shown -- it is
still .ace.

Anyway I would prefer the file chooser to display .ace, .ace.gz and .ace.Z
and ACEDB would recognize by the filename extension how to open the file
instead of having three different buttons. I think we can make computers
that smart ;-)

best wishes
Detlef