[SUMMARY] Solving Problems with 2-x on Solaris

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Sun Oct 9 09:46:13 EST 1994

Thanks to all who replied. Key answers are summarized below.

Reinhard Doelz (doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch) wrote:
: we are still troubled on a Sparcstation which we try to maintain via network.
: The memory allocation failure I reported earlier on Solaris 4.1 still occured
[...]
: got an error in 2-8 stating 'internal system error: parse error near line
: 61557 in B0248: Unknown tag "Overlap_right"'. Aligning the maps manually
: gives a bus error.

|> -Cyrus Harmon
|> sly at fly2.berkeley.edu

suggested to change the cachesize in wspec/cache.wrm. The parameter
2048 for both caches proved to solve the memory allocation error.
The software-set value of 4000 did not work.

|> Tohru Sano
|> sano at kirara.exp.cl.nec.co.jp

suggested that the INSTALL script was an old one. actually, the solution
to the problem with missing elements came

|> From: " (Richard Durbin)" <rd at mrc-molecular-biology.cambridge.ac.uk>
|>
|> You are not using the 2-14 wspec/.  Each update comes with its own wspec/
|> directory, and they evolve with time, so while you can read early updates
|> with later wspec/'s, you can't do the opposite.  The first version of
|> INSTALL untarred in alphabetical order, so update.2-2 overwrote update.2-14.
|> INSTALL scripts since 2-10 have done things in the numerical order.  Anyway,
|> you just need to untar wspec from update.2-14.tar.Z to cure your
|> Overlap_right problem.

The update ended in a bus error, which could be repaired using advice