Author order

rd at sanger.ac.uk rd at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 16:06:39 EST 1995

> We're running version 3.0 on a SUN.  I've noticed that after several days
> of use, our database has changed the order of Author's names inside of
> Paper objects.  Have others experienced this?  Has it been addressed in
> later versions?

I doubt the order is changing.  The order in a column is determined by
the order in which items are entered.  If they are there already then
they are not reentered.  People have had problems with Author order
before, for the following reason.

If you XREF from Author to ?Paper, e.g. your models contain something like

?Author Address ...
	Paper ?Paper XREF Author 		// <1>

?Paper Reference Title ?Text
		 Author ?Author XREF Paper 	// <2>

then if you add Author objects before the Paper objects, the Paper
object will be created by the XREF <1>, and the author list in
position <2> in the paper object will be determined by the order in
which the Author objects are read in, not the order of authors in the
Paper object.

This was a problem with the very early models used by the C. elegans
database, and hence unfortunately propagated around the world.  The
solution is to remove XREF <1>, so the models look like:

?Author Address ...
	Paper ?Paper

?Paper Reference Title ?Text
		 Author ?Author XREF Paper

Now the authors in the Paper object will only be added when the Paper
object is read, and will be in the order specified there.

I hope this is both clear, and also the cause of the reported problem.

Richard