ace4-1 pick_me_to_call workaround

Martin L. Ferguson martinf at
Tue Aug 22 11:22:05 EST 1995

Hi all,

I've placed a copy of a modified action.c at:

If you recompile xace with this file, it will look for the Pick_me_to_call
arguements in $ACEDB/externFiles automatically.  (Hope this is OK, Richard
& Jean.  Should there be a $ACEDB_EXTERNAL_FILES environment variable?)
Also, if you're not into recompiling, I can let you have a modified
Solaris xace binary.  Just email me.

/s/   Martin
      martinf at

In article <9508212136.AA18241 at>,
matthews at GREENGENES.CIT.CORNELL.EDU ("Dave Matthews") wrote:

> In ace4-1, 'Pick_me_to_call xv my.gif' looks for my.gif in whatever
> directory the user happened to be in when he started the database, which is
> indeterminate.
> To work around this, always invoke xace via a script that first chdir's to
> the desired directory:
> #!/bin/csh
> setenv ACEDB /acedb/myowndb
> cd $ACEDB/externalFiles
> $ACEDB/bin/xace
> Thanks to Hector Sanchez for this tip!
> - Dave

Martin Ferguson                   martinf at
Dept. of Entomology               970-491-7989
CO State U.
Ft. Collins, CO  80523