can't get Write Access in ACEDB

Dave Matthews matthews at GREENGENES.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Fri Mar 3 05:50:43 EST 1995

I've never really had trouble getting "Write Access" to show up on the main
menu before (since the first ACEDB I installed), but this time I'm stumped.
I'm installing a copy of GrainGenes (ACEDB version 3.0) on an SGI in
Denmark.  I changed passwd.wrm to contain my login name here, which is also
the name of the owner of all the directories and files.  That name is
listed directly in /etc/passwd.  The default shell for it is ksh instead of
csh, could that make a difference?  (I'm running ace from a csh subshell.)

I did setenv ACEDB_SU.  The database directory and blocks.wrm exist, and are
writeable by the owner.  Uncommenting "getLoginFailed" in passwd.wrm has no
effect.

Some other folks have complained of this problem before.  Did you fix it, or
give up on ACEDB?

- Dave Matthews