can't get Write Access in ACEDB

Dave Matthews matthews at GREENGENES.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Fri Mar 3 10:29:18 EST 1995

> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 14:49:17 GMT
> From: jld at bioch.ox.ac.uk (Joanne Dicks)
> To: matthews at greengenes.cit.cornell.edu
> Subject: Re: can't get Write Access in ACEDB
>
> Your problem sounds quite similar to one I had some months ago.
> In my case, there wasn't a problem with ACEDB itself but with
> the computer system. We had recently upgraded our operating
> system to Solaris and somehow my machine thought I was the
> person who had logged on before me. Typing "whoami" and
> "who am i" gave different results. I then added that person's
> username to passwd.wrm and everything was fine. I kept it like
> this until the system faults had been removed. It wasn't ideal
> but at least it worked.
>
> I hope this is something like your problem, or will give you
> an idea of what might be wrong.
>
> Jo Dicks
> Genetics Lab,
> Dept. of Biochemistry,
> Oxford.

Thanks Jo, that may be an excellent lead.  It is a newly set-up machine
here.  I'll check it out as soon as the problem comes back.  (As soon as
I sent off that message, it started sometimes working, sometimes not.  For a
while I had two xterm windows on the screen, one of which started up no-
Write-Access xaces every time and the other of which started up correctly
functioning ones every time.  Looks like I finally killed off the bad one so
I can't check the who am i result.)
regards,
- Dave