multi servers

Danielle et jean Thierry-Mieg mieg at kaa.crbm.cnrs-mop.fr
Wed Apr 3 06:30:48 EST 1996

a) time outs

rpc.acedbd is declared wait in inetd.conf
hence 1) it is forked only if it does not yet exists
      2) it is not killed by unix at end of connection
  however, aceserver commits suicide after its own time out
  which is a parameter on the command line here 600 seconds
  since the decalration is:
   wwwace2/1 stream rpc/tcp wait taka /usr/local/bin/rpc.acedbd rpc.acedbd /usr/people/taka/wwwace2 20000200 600:600:0

***********************

b) declarations are required i think in 3 places: /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/rpc /etc/services

these are the entries on my own machine:

/etc/services

# These are acedb databases servers
cele            20000100/tcp    rpc.acedbd
igd_ace            20000200/tcp    rpc.acedbd
# These are acedb/jade netclients
worm            20100/tcp         #aceclient

/etc/rpc

#acedb worm data server
cele 20000100 rpc.acedbd
igd_ace 20000200 rpc.acedbd

/etc/inetd.conf

# experimental ACE client to use with java scripts
worm     stream  tcp     nowait  mieg   /usr/local/bin/netclient  netclient -host beta -port  20000100
cele/1   stream  rpc/tcp  wait   mieg   /usr/local/bin/rpc.acedbd rpc.acedbd /local1/worm      20000100  1200:1200:0
igd_ace/1   stream  rpc/tcp  wait   mieg   /usr/local/bin/rpc.acedbd rpc.acedbd /local1/igd/ace   20000200  1200:1200:0

I suspect that you may be missing the entry in /etc/services
in particular I think that it is crucial in services to associate the
service to its port and to its executable (here rpc.acedbd)

I beleive the system runs corectly on sgi, but i have myself
set it up only on a dec alpha (with the precious help and
collabortion Bigwood & co) and on a Solaris with Donn Davy)

If this system does not work, please let me know.

c) rebooting

In principle, one should not reboot, just restart the correct daemons, but
in my experience, i always end up rebooting, becasause after killing
and restarting a few daemons, acedbserver may well run, but some other
service like nfs or whatelse is unhappy.