Fatal Errors with blixem/dotter

esr at sanger.ac.uk esr at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jul 19 05:52:39 EST 1996

Jason wrote:

> After calling up blixem on a Pep_homol, a sequence from the alignment
> is seleted for 'Dotter HSPs only'.  The first one usually works,
> provided the sequence is either in the database, or is fetchable.  But
> the second one always crashes the session, leaving this error message:
>
> !! FATAL ERROR 0: !! Cannot get box 3 - index out of range

Sorry folks, this bug had not been detected because it only occurs
when the environment variable ACEDB_PROJECT is not set.  Since we
always have that variable set, we never saw the bug.

If you're suffering from it, there a two fast fixes:

1. setenv ACEDB_PROJECT (in the script or shell that calls xace)

2. comment out these lines in w9/dotter.c:

	if (!getenv("ACEDB_PROJECT")) {
            initAlignment();
        }

A more elegant fix will be made to the next source release.  For the
standalone version of Blixem, the FTP site executables have been
fixed.

Erik Sonnhammer