ACE97 Program and Schedule

Doug Bigwood dbigwood at gig.usda.gov
Fri May 2 10:16:30 EST 1997

The ACE97 Program and Schedule (tentative) is now available
at http://probe.nalusda.gov:8000/ace97/ace97program.html.  A
copy is also appended to this message.  Note that the organizers
are looking for tutorial speakers for the following subjects: ACEDB
Query Language, Tablemaker, Map Displays, and the Sequence Display.
If you are willing to give a tutorial on one of these subjects, or are
willing to present a tutorial on a subject not listed in the program,
please contact Doug Bigwood at dbigwood at gig.usda.gov.

Also, some likely participants have been asking about registration for
the conference.  Dave Matthews is working feverishly to pin down the
exact costs and requirements and he hopes to have this information very
soon.  The organizers want to keep the costs low and thanks to funding
from USDA,NAL and Cornell we will be able to do this.  We will post a
message to this newsgroup when registration opens.  We do know that
registraton will close on July 7, so there will be plenty of time.

ACE97 Program and Schedule

    July 7: Last day to Register
    July 26: Arrival
    July 27: Tutorials
    July 28, 29: Conference
    July 30 - August 8: Workshop
    August 9: Meeting review and planning of ACE98

Saturday, July 26

Arrival.

Sunday, July 27

Tutorials (tentative) - there will be four slots, 2 morning and 2
afternoon - the
tutorials will be scheduled according to interest to minimize conflicts.

    New Curators - How to Create an ACeDB Database. Sam Cartinhour
    Advanced Curators - How to make use of ACeDB displays. (Unknown)
        Part 1 - Map displays
        Part 2 - Sequence display
    An Introduction to Java and Applets. John Morris
    ACeDB for Windows. Richard Bruskiewich
    Setting up a WWW interface to ACEDB
        Part 1 - Setting up an aceserver. Curt Jamison
        Part 2 - Webace, A Web Interface for ACeDB databases - Steve
        Beckstrom-Sternberg
    Acembly, Sequence Assembly Program - Jean Thierry-Mieg
    GeneFinder and ACeDB - Richard Durbin
    Querying
        the ACEDB query language
        tablemaker

All day: Poster Setup

Monday, July 28
Opening remarks - Dave Matthews and Doug Bigwood

Morning Program

What's New with ACeDB - Richard Durbin and Jean Thierry-Mieg

and others ...

Afternoon Program

more ...

All day: Poster viewing

Evening: Welcome Barbeque (transportation provided)

Tuesday, July 29

Morning Program

Afternoon Program

Panel Discussion: ACEDB - Where do we go from here? Moderator: Doug
Bigwood

All day: Poster viewing

Wednesday, July 30

Morning

Working Groups Convene

Possible working groups (anyone will be able to form a working group)

    Curators (build and enhance your databases)
    Query Language
    Comparative Map Displays
    Java and ACEDB
        Displays
           Java Beans and components
           New/Modified Displays
        Client/Server communications
        Java 1.1 features
        More ... ???
    Object Brokering/Exchange
    Documentation
    Windows ACEDB
    MacACE
    Data verification and validation tools

Afternoon

Working groups report on direction the group will take for the rest of
the workshop

Thursday, July 31 - Friday, August 8

Morning

Working Groups report on progress

Tuesday, August 5

18:00 - 21:00 - Banquet, Clark Hall

Friday, August 8

Afternoon

Working Groups present and submit final reports

Saturday, August 9

Morning

Meeting review and planning of next meeting