bioWidgets

Danielle et jean Thierry-Mieg mieg at kaa.crbm.cnrs-mop.fr
Thu Apr 2 10:03:18 EST 1998

Lincoln Stein cc'd me on Steve Fischer's position on biowidget.
Steve says:
  " it is our philosophy that well
 > designed components obviate the need for source code"

I totally disagree with this opinion. If one hopes for portability, reuse and
collaborative work, which was the original platform for the Biowidget efforts
certainly source code must be distributed.

The only good reason for not distributing source code that I can conceive, is the hope
of marketing the product in the future. But then this should be made very explicit
otherwise we may start by using the code than be trapped in a private-code, and
have to reprogram it.
  This is exactly the situation at EBI which is activelly reprogramming the GCG toolbox

Jean Thierry-Mieg