ACEDB

Richard Bruskiewich rbrusk1 at wave.home.com
Wed Apr 22 12:27:45 EST 1998

Hello,

I've had to deal with this general problem before. The key fact is that
there is not generally any one program/script around to convert data
from a particular source into a particular ACEDB database.  The reason
for this is that the structure (syntax/sematics) of the data must be
mapped onto the database schema (ACEDB "models"). Some general tools for
this may be available, but I find that often the best thing is to learn
(the basics of) a general utility scripting language like perl then
tackle the problem yourself.

1.  	Write down all the input data attribute fields. Organise them
	into definable objects (i.e. "Locus", "Clone", "Sequence" etc)

2.	Review your ACEDB models. Attempt to map source data attributes
	onto your existing ACEDB model/tags. Add new tags if necessary.
	"Read models" into your ACEDB database.

3.	Write a perl script which inputs your source data, pattern
	matches or parses the input into its attributes, then
	write out .ace file lines corresponding to the mapped tags.

4.	Read in the data.

If you give me a more accurate idea of precisely what LLNL data you wish
to input into ACEDB (URL?) and precisely what ACEDB models you using,
then perhaps I can advise you on this task, or we can locate existing
scripts (at Sanger, etc.) which might do the task.

Richard Bruskiewich (rbrusk at octogene.medgen.ubc.ca)
Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia