ACEDB

Xuequn Xu xux at cco.caltech.edu
Sat Apr 25 22:48:07 EST 1998

Yes, I think Dr. Bruskiewich was right. Writing "ad hoc" scripts/programs
to deal with particular data converting problems is the ONLY way to go.
Perl is an excellent tool in this, and I would like to add emacs, the
"all-purpose" super text editor. With Perl + emacs, you can have many
seemingly impossible things done. Only after you have got into it can you
really appreciate its power... I think many of my fellow ACeDB
entheusiasts would agree on this...

Xuequn Xu (Robert)
Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
http://www.tree.caltech.edu

Richard Bruskiewich (rbrusk1 at wave.home.com) wrote:
: Hello,

: I've had to deal with this general problem before. The key fact is that
: there is not generally any one program/script around to convert data
: from a particular source into a particular ACEDB database.  The reason
: for this is that the structure (syntax/sematics) of the data must be
: mapped onto the database schema (ACEDB "models"). Some general tools for
: this may be available, but I find that often the best thing is to learn
: (the basics of) a general utility scripting language like perl then
: tackle the problem yourself.
:
: