Query by Example

Dave Matthews matthews at GREENGENES.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Fri Jan 30 10:48:42 EST 1998

> It was pointed out to me by Roger Chetelat, who uses SolGenes on geneous,
> that Query by Example crashes ACEDB whenever one tries to select a Class
> from the Class menu (either the scrollable menu or the right-mouse-button
> one).  The same problem exists on GrainGenes and RiceGenes, so it is not
> server-specific.  Perhaps everybody else was aware of the problem, and
> avoided it by opening the desired Class in the main window before opening
> QBE.  Does anybody know when the bug appeared?  Is it a "feature" of
> version 4.5?
> Thanks,
> Sam

Looks like this is new.  4.3i doesn't have the problem.

Interestingly though, in both 4.3 and 4.5 the list of classes in QBE
includes a bunch of classes that aren't in the model and don't look like
system classes, e.g. in GrainGenes' case Clone, Comment, Doc,
Homology_group, Include, Paper.  In 4.5 these "extras" don't appear in the
scrollable Selector window obtained by clicking the triangle in the Main
window or the Query Builder window, only the one obtained from the QBE

- Dave