webace2 help

Dave Matthews matthews at GREENGENES.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Sat Sep 12 10:17:26 EST 1998

Hi Jody,

There is a similar problem that affects Solaris 2.4 but I thought it was
supposed to be fixed in 2.6 which I gather is what you're running.  Haven't
checked it myself.  As you report, gifaceserver works from the commandline
but not from inetd.  The further diagnosis is that even though no
connection is made, "ps" shows that the server is running, and its log
shows that it's automatically restarting itself immediately when it times
out.

The fix is to recompile gifaceserver with a later version of Solaris
rpcgen.  (Then you have to kill the old server, which is quite tricky since
inetd won't let it die.  Very amusing.)  However the webace2 gifaceserver
isn't available as source, as far as I know.

This is a long-known problem and fix, see http://stein.cshl.org/jade/distrib/
for example.  Nonetheless it's conceivable that the gifaceserver available
on the webace2 site was compiled under 2.4 without the fix.  My own results
with it are exactly the same as yours.

- Dave