aceclient/perl compilation problem

Winston Chang wchang3 at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Thu Mar 11 17:59:51 EST 1999

I'm trying to get aceclient extension to compile into perl5.004 on a Red Hat
Linux(Intel) machine, but I keep running into the following problem:
everything works fine until make hits the 'perl:' dependency line.  It
gives errors like the following:

In function `magicFileOpen':
/home/acedb/RELEASE.980930.BUILD/bin.LINUX_4/aceclientlib.c:66 undefined
reference to `strnew'

These functions seem to be defined in headers contained in
$ACEDB_SRC/wh/, but even if I tell it specifically to look in that
directory with a -I, it still chokes.

Am I forgetting to do something?   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Winston Chang
   Integrated Microscopy Resource
   University of Wisconsin-Madison