Curators Forum??

Mark Wilkinson markw at cheerful.com
Wed Oct 6 06:47:29 EST 1999

Hello Group!

this question is not exactly ACEdb related, but since the majority of
you will be genome database curators this seems an appropriate forum to
post the question:

The entire process of genome database curation seems a little complex (I
hear most of you laughing at this point).  Keeping updated with changes
to the EMBL, genbank, etc., making sure that the sequence you have is
the 'newest', ensuring your publication list is up to date, weeding out
duplicate entries, ensuring that everything is consistent when a gene is
re-named, blah blah blah...

So, for curating-virgins like me, these problems are enormous mountains
- not just to solve them, but to conceptually understand the depth of
the problem itself!  (there are without doubt problems that I have not
even realized exist so far!)

which leads me to the following question:  Is there a 'curators forum'
on the net?  Or do you all belong to a mailing list where you discuss
these issues?  Or do you all act more-or-less autonomously, each of you
solving the problems in your own way?  Are there curators
'conferences'?  Workshops?  Parties?!

I guess what I am asking is - how do you do what you do, and where did
you learn to do it?

Best wishes to you all!

Mark Wilkinson
DragonDB Curator
Max Planck Institut fuer Zuechtungsforschung
Cologne, Germany