novel use for ACEDB

John McCarthy JLMcCarthy at LBL.GOV
Tue Oct 12 20:30:20 EST 1999

Although I'm not currently active in the acedb community, I was a few years
ago, and I still think its a neat system. I also did a fair amount of
social science computing earlier in my career, so I'm somewhat familiar
with the kind of data you describe (mine was more for history & poli sci).

I think acedb would in fact be a good match for your data.
You would need to make your own model(s), but then could use the
query and table facilities to do most of what you describe, I think.
You might also be able to create output that you could subsequently
transform for further analysis in SAS, S, Excel, etc.
You could do the transforms with Perl, AWK, or something else if necessary.
Before too long you may be able to get the output as XML,
at which point you could use XSL-T (transformation) to do transforms.

I'd be interested to hear whether you decide to try acedb, and if so,
how it works for you.

-John McCarthy

John L. McCarthy            Email: JLMcCarthy at lbl.gov
Building 50C -- 3318          Web: http://www.lbl.gov/~mccarthy

Berkeley National Lab       Phone: (510) 486-5307
Berkeley Calif. 94720         FAX: (510) 486-4004