Problem installing webace

F. Coulier coulier at
Tue Oct 26 11:14:15 EST 1999

Hi everybody,

I am trying to install Acedb for peoples in my lab. Ideally, I would
like acedb to be accessible through web pages, which is what webace is
supposed to do.

However, I have encountered some dificulties. Before explaining any
further the problem (or problems) I should say that I am new to Unix
systems (I have been running a Linux machine for only a few months), so
part of the problem may just be trivial.

First, what is working correctly:

Acedb works on my machine, when launching acedb from the command line.

Aceserver and aceclient appear to work fine also: aceserver as
inetd, aceclient with proper command line:
aceclient my.ip.address -port 20000114
then I get a secondary prompt, and I can make queries etc...

Apache is OK (I can access other web pages, as well as CGI scripts)

Then, a few things that have been done: have been installed have been installed

Webace cgi-bin scripts have been copied to the proper directory
(/home/httpd/cg-bin), and chmoded properly

/acelib have been moved to a directory in perl's search path

Edition of acelib/ and acelib/dbinfo :

$main::baseURL = '';
$main::acelib = '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/acelib';
$main::acebin = '/usr/local/bin/';

dbinfo :

# database	server			rpc port	data directory			url
Acedb	20000114 /home/Database/ACEDB

Now, when I try, I get
nothing (maybe because I should create an Acedb.html file?)

When I try I get an
internal server error.

The /var/log/httpd/error_log says:

Can't locate in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005
.) at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/acelib/ line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/acelib/ line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/httpd/cgi-bin/webace line 13.
[Tue Oct 26 10:57:13 1999] [error] [client my.ip.adresss] Premature end
of script headers: /home/httpd/cgi-bin/webace

When looking at and webace:, line 5 = use Aceclient;
webace line 13 = use acelib::Acedb;

I did not recompile Aceclient into Perl, because I thought I got a
precompiles binary. Can that be the problem?

When I tried to compile Aceclient into Perl, I ran into some
difficulties with setting up $ACEDB_MACHINE and $ACEDB_SRC.

I just don't know how to set $ACEDB_MACHINE and $ACEDB_SRC on my

and then, any tips on how to make aceclient?

Thanks for your help!

François Coulier,

Sent via
Before you buy.