Access restrictions for Ace

Dave Lorand davel at src.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 27 17:41:23 EST 1999

In article <9910201529.AA15610 at greengenes.cit.cornell.edu>,
matthews at GREENGENES.CIT.CORNELL.EDU ("Dave Matthews") wrote:

> Hi Gudmundur,
>
> You might try changing the users' umasks from 022 to 002, so the files
> their processes create are 664.
>
> There may be a nicer way to do this with setgid on the database/
> directory, but I confess I never understood setgid.

FYI, setgid on a directory forces files created in that directory to have
the same group affiliation as the directory itself.  Very different from
setgid on an executable.  It's useful in certain situations, but in this
case it wouldn't get around the umask problem.

Regards,

Dave
(experienced sysadmin and ACEDB newbie)

| Dave Lorand, System Administrator | davel at src.uchicago.edu |
| Social Science Research Computing | 773-702-3792           |
| University of Chicago             | 773-702-2101 (fax)     |