magic tags

Richard Durbin rd at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 16:05:30 EST 1999

For most magic tags and displays we have tried to make the tags work
flexibly in arbitrary classes, as Janet wants.  In particular the GMAP
(standard vertical map) and GRID displays work that way, as do aspects
of the FMAP (DNA sequence display).  We are currently changing the
models used for sequences to extend that flexibility and remove almost
all the special position of the Sequence class (backward compatible,
so that existing databases are not hurt).  However, the PMAP display,
which is the old horizontal physical map, is some of the oldest display
code left in acedb, and is unfortunately quite rigid.  You have to use
the Clone class, and if you want to separate out different clone types
you must use subclasses as Doug Smith describes.  If you want more
flexibility, use the vertical GMAP display - it is more powerful.

Richard