Resurrection of pop-up bug?

Brian Fristensky frist at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Aug 21 09:38:44 EST 2000

> Subject: Re: ACeDB bug in Solaris 7?
> From: Ed Griffiths (edgrif at sanger.ac.uk)
> Date: Thu 23 Dec 1999 - 08:53:05 GMT
>

> Jody,
>
> > I've developed a horrible bug with ACeDB 4.7e. I have a new Ultra60
> > which got Solaris 7 (MU 4) installed on it. Something is now terribly
> > wrong. When I try to do anything at all, the ready on the main menu
> > starts to flicker, ACeDB takes over the entire window manager and
> > freezes the screen. It has to be killed from another terminal. When
> > you look at the processes running, dtwm and Xsun are taking up all the
> > processor and ACeDB is gobbling up memory. I got the newest GCC
> > compiler and recompiled ACeDB. Same problem.
> >

> I can answer this one, around this time someone inadvertantly intrduced a bug
> into the code that controls acedb's version of pop-up dialogs. Basically this
> bug tried to keep the dialog on top of all other windows on the screen by
> calling an X routine to raise the window. Unfortunately the call to this routine

... stuff deleted...

> Later versions of 4_7 (I think we are to 4_7l) do not have this problem, I know,
> I fixed it. I would suggest you get the latest 4_7 code and try it. If you still
> have a problem then come back to me.
>
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> | Ed Griffiths, Informatics Group, |
> | The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, |
> | Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK |
> | |
> | email: edgrif at sanger.ac.uk URL: http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/edgrif |
> | Tel: +44-1223-494780 (switch +44 1223 834244) Fax: +44 1223 494919 |
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now testing Solaris 8 using the CDE window manager.
I have seen this exact problem with xace 4.71. Apparently,
there is still a problem lurking somewhere. We never installed
Solaris 7 here, so I can't verify the previous fix.

Brian Fristensky                | To put genomics projects in
perspective:
Department of Plant Science     | The Large Hadron Collider will "write
University of Manitoba          | data to a disk-based database at
100Mb/sec
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    | ... for 10 to 15 years... that's over
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca           | 100 petabytes of data, roughly the
equiv-
Office phone:   204-474-6085    | alent of 10 milllion PC hard disks."
FAX:            204-474-7528    |
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/  Science 286:1840 (1999)