xace 4.8 on Solaris 7?

Gerard R Lazo lazo at pw.usda.gov
Thu Feb 24 17:27:56 EST 2000

I had experienced the "horrible bug" of ACEDB 4.7x running
under Solaris 7 as described by Jody Schwartz earlier and
downloaded the test.source.4_8a.tar.Z from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
and recent updates from ftp.sanger.ac.uk (all.991126.tar.Z
equivalent?). I've tried to compile these with gcc under
Solaris 7 using the environment for ACEDB_MACHINE set to
SOLARIS_4_RELEASE. Apparently these versions are missing
something because I get the following compile error:

acein.c:30: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory

Looking at w1/acein.c I see the problem seems to be

#include <readline/readline.h>

I also see the note:

/* Nov  1 15:25 1999 (srk): added readline prompt */

Are there any newer repaired versions available? Does the
ACEDB 4.7x occur under Solaris 8 also? I guess I should have
patched my old Solaris 2.6 system first rather than jumping
to Solaris 7.

- Gerry

Gerard R Lazo    / USDA-ARS-Western Regional Research Ctr \ 510.559.5640
lazo at pw.usda.gov \ 800 Buchanan St, Albany, CA 94710-1105 / 510.559.5818