Text in Graphics Sequence display - 2

Hamish McWilliam Hamish.McWilliam at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 12:27:39 EST 2000

Doug Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am still having troubles with Text display in the Sequence Graphics display.
<Stuff snipped>
> I did this ... and it works ... but, for me, only in part, to wit:
> 1. only the Visible information from the *.cds Subsequence objects is
> displayed !?!
> 2. Visible information from other Subsequence objects and from the Sequence
> object
>    itself is not displayed.
> Second, this displayed text information appears to be of a 'Text Features' type
> ... that is, it is removed from the Seq Graphics display when one toggles the
> 'Text Features' in 'Columns'
> Perhaps the additional text information should be displayed in the column
> called 'Brief Identifications' ??
> I have not been able to get this column to display anything ...
> If this is what I should be using, how does one use it?
> Does it involve an additional Method to the 'Show_Text' method above?
> If so, what is the Method?
> I appreciate any comments here ...
> Thanks
>   -Doug

Having just had a little play with the setup I recommended earlier, I
see the same behavior. Although I get the Visible info displayed from
both CDS and mRNA subsequences.

As for Brief 'Identifications' I actually do have this column working
although I cannot say if it works for the sequence it does seem to work
for my subsequences. These are derived from the value of the
Visible -> Brief_identification tag, and are displayed independently of
the other text features.

While this is probably not of much help, now that I looked at it afresh,
I would still like to be able to get the other Visible data to display.

Any ideas anyone?

Hamish McWilliam
Brassica and Oilseeds Research
John Innes Center
Norwich Research Park
Colney Lane

Tel: +44(0)1603-452571
WWW: http://jiio10.jic.bbsrc.ac.uk/
God invented Brownian motion to stir his coffee.