Problems getting saceserver to work via inetd

Keith Bradnam [NASC] keith at
Tue Apr 3 07:47:42 EST 2001

Ok, I'm trying to get the sockets server of acedb (4.8c) to run on our
Tru64 UNIX system. I've been following the instructions given on:

Things were going ok, e.g. I could start saceserver in the foreground and
then start saceclient in a separate window and the client could connect to
the server.  No problemo.  But now I'm trying to get this working via

So I have the following line in /etc/services:

AGR             60000/tcp

And in /etc/inetd.conf I have:

AGR             stream  tcp wait        keith   /usr/local/bin/saceserver
saceserver    /databases/cropnet_db/AGR       200:200:0

This is just as is specified in the above web page.  I then restart inetd
and then the instructions suggest:

"then access the server by starting up a client:

 saceclient  -port 20113"

This seems slighly in error as you need to specify a host for saceclient
to connect to.  So assuming that I also need to specify my host, I get the
following problem:

65 agr% saceclient flora -port 60000
Please enter userid: cropnet
Please enter passwd:
FATAL ERROR -  (keith on reported by program
saceclient (ACEDB 4_8c), in file acesocketlib.c, at line 284: connect
error system error 61 - Connection refused

The userid and password work fine when I start the server in the

Any ideas???  Has anyone successfully installed the sockets server???

Any help greatly appreciated.

~  Keith Bradnam - UK CropNet ( webmaster and
~  Arabidopsis Genome Resource  ( developer.
~  Nottingham Arabidopsis Stock Centre, University Park,
~  University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK.  Tel: (0115) 951 3091