Problems getting saceserver to work via inetd

Ed Griffiths edgrif at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 09:53:08 EST 2001

Keith,

> the server.  No problemo.  But now I'm trying to get this working via
> inetd.
>
> So I have the following line in /etc/services:
>
> AGR             60000/tcp
>
> And in /etc/inetd.conf I have:
>
> AGR             stream  tcp wait        keith   /usr/local/bin/saceserver
> saceserver    /databases/cropnet_db/AGR       200:200:0
>
> This is just as is specified in the above web page.  I then restart inetd
> and then the instructions suggest:

Your problem may be in your choice of 60000 as the port, the web pages do
suggest you use the one in the range 1024 - 49151 and always check in
/etc/services that the port is not already in use. The port you have chosen is
in the range of dynamic ports that are left to be assigned dynamically by
TCP/UDP as needed for clients.

> "then access the server by starting up a client:
>
>  saceclient  -port 20113"
>
> This seems slighly in error as you need to specify a host for saceclient
> to connect to.

OK, you've found the one place in the document where I left out the "host"
argument, I'll fix it !

> So assuming that I also need to specify my host, I get the
> following problem:
>
> 65 agr% saceclient flora -port 60000
> Please enter userid: cropnet
> Please enter passwd:
> FATAL ERROR -  (keith on flora.life.nottingham.ac.uk) reported by program
> saceclient (ACEDB 4_8c), in file acesocketlib.c, at line 284: connect
> error system error 61 - Connection refused

As a starter I think you should check in /etc/services for a port number that is
above 1023 but less than 49152 and see if you can get it working.

You should also check that /usr/local/bin/saceserver can be run by user "keith"
and that user "keith" has read/write/execute permissions for
/databases/cropnet_db/AGR

Other people _are_ using the socket server and have been doing so for some time.

|               The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,         |
| email: edgrif at sanger.ac.uk  Tel: +44-1223-494780  Fax: +44-1223-494919 |