passwordless saceserver? (for scripted access)

Richard Durbin rd at
Wed Aug 29 04:37:52 EST 2001

The natural solution seems to be to have optional command line -user and -password
options for saceclient, like mysql has (I think).  I don't know if those exist yet.

Dave Matthews wrote:
> Is there a way to suppress the socket aceserver's
>   Please enter userid:
>   Please enter passwd:
> handshake?  In the old aceserver I could connect via simple shell scripts
> directly.  Now, even though I've set the database to "READ WORLD" in
> wspec/serverconfig.wrm, the prompt still comes up.  If I try to include
> appropriate responses in the script, e.g.
>   /usr/local/bin/saceclient -port 2000 <<EOF
>   anonymous
>   guest
>   EOF
> the result is
>   Please enter userid: anonymous
>   FATAL ERROR -   (user, machine & program version not available)  in file sclient.c, at line 67: Unable to get terminal attributes for input of password.
> If I connect through saceclient interactively, I can enter anything as the
> userid and just hit Return for the passwd.
> I see that this can be done through AcePerl (and it takes a lot of code to
> do it, in but I'd like to be able to have more direct
> access.
> (This is using ace4_9c under Linux.)
> thanks,
> - Dave

Richard Durbin                                      The Sanger Centre
email: rd at                   Wellcome Trust Genome Campus                             Hinxton
phone: 01223 494978                                Cambridge CB10 1SA
fax: 01223 494919                                                  UK