Float data type precision

Ed Griffiths edgrif at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jun 29 03:09:04 EST 2001

Janet,

> My opinion - it would be nice but not essential to have more digits
> available - I have some data which is positions on Jim Kent's UCSC genome
> assemblies, so some of the positions get up to 100,000,000bp kind of sizes.
> big numbers are getting rounded e.g. 135184853 gets turned into 1.35185e+08.

Shouldn't positional information be specified as INT, not FLOAT ?

There is no way that a 32-bit float can give the same accuracy as a 32-bit int.

What does your model say for storing positions ?

|               The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,         |
| email: edgrif at sanger.ac.uk  Tel: +44-1223-494780  Fax: +44-1223-494919 |