pb setting up saceserver

Ed Griffiths edgrif at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jun 29 03:21:50 EST 2001

François,

> Ok, I just tried that, but I still get a fatal error...
> [fc at grun fc]$ saceclient 195.220.67.166 -port 20113
> Please enter userid: fc
> Please enter passwd:
> FATAL ERROR -  (fc on grun.marseille.inserm.fr) reported by program
> saceclient (ACEDB 4_9a), in file acesocketlib.c, at line 284: connect
> error system error 111 - Connection refused

OK, I got hold of the manpages and found under BUGS a suggestion of problems
with xinetd and

>         socket_type = stream
>         protocol    = tcp
>         wait        = yes

so I then found the mailing list for xinetd and asked there about it. The reply
I got was that xinetd did indeed have problems with this type of daemon until a
fix was applied for version "pre15". The xinetd people actually recommend using
version "pre16" or later. You can find out what version you have by:

> strings /usr/sbin/xinetd | grep Version

This produces several version strings, and on our system one of them is:

xinetd Version 2.1.8.9pre11

So you can see we have some updating to do....!!

So I guess this is a warning (which I will repeat in the install README/NOTES)
that you cannot run the acedb server with a version of xinetd earlier than
"pre16".

|               The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,         |
| email: edgrif at sanger.ac.uk  Tel: +44-1223-494780  Fax: +44-1223-494919 |