acedb, worms, bioinformatics, and copyright infringement

Keith Bradnam keith at
Wed May 23 08:47:13 EST 2001

Today I have seen the new O'Reilly book which covers 'Developing
bioinformatics computer skills'.  The cover bear the image of a few C.
elegans worms.  However, the inside jacket remarks that:

'the association between the image of a C. elegans and the topic of
bioinformatics is a trademark of O'Reilly and associates'.

!?!  Does this mean that the acedb logo breaks this trademark?  I can't
see how you can trademark an 'association' between an 'image' and a

Having said all that, the book does look very good.