inetd and acedb ....

Ed Griffiths edgrif at
Wed Sep 5 03:54:29 EST 2001

François kindly wrote back with the solution to his problem which turned out to
be the wrong permissions on the _directories_ of his database:

> > > I do not see any obvious file permission problems with WS50 (i.e. the
> > > wspec/* or database/* files have the same permissions in the 2 versions)
> >
> > OK, some obvious things to check:
> >
> > 2) really make sure that all the permissions are the same for both
> >    databases.
> >
> The problem was not with file permission, but directory permissions.
> The /acedb/database directory was drwxr-xr-x where it should be
> drwxrwxr-x
> Now, everything is working fine.

Perhaps I should take this opportunity to remind everyone that the downside of
Unix file permissions is that you just have to get them right for acedb to work
!!  I will review the documentation for setting up the server and see if it can
be clarified.

|               The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,         |
| email: edgrif at  Tel: +44-1223-494780  Fax: +44-1223-494919 |