is the server running? and X problem too

Kenji shikida at terra.com.br
Mon Nov 4 03:48:57 EST 2002

I installed ACeDB and I am able to access wormbase using xace.
Opening a third window, while navigating, X process starts to eat a
lot of CPU processing and a lot of Memory and then it hangs. The linux
box is a P4 2GHz with 1GB RAM. In the xace interface, the word
"ready", in green, starts to blink very fast and then the machine
hangs.

Also, I was testing AcePerl but it seems not to connect to the server.
When I try to start the server, I've got this message

[kenji at orodruim WB]$ ./bin/gifaceserver /opt/WB/ 8000
// Database directory: /opt/WB/

tar: Member names contain `..'

The AcePerl program I am testing is this

           use Ace;
           # open a remote database connection
           $db = Ace->connect(-host => 'localhost',
                              -port => 8000);

           # open a local database connection
           $local = Ace->connect(-path=>'/opt/WB/');

           print $db->status;

           print Ace->error;
           print $db->error;

the error I've got is

	Can't call method "status" on an undefined value at test.pl

which I believe is because I am not connecting to the server.

any help is welcome

thanks

Leonardo Kenji Shikida