sgifaceserver with big databases

Tim Cutts timc at
Mon Nov 18 03:19:20 EST 2002

In article <3DCFA8DB.8DE30BED at>,
Martin Trick <martin.trick at> wrote:
>Apologies to all, as I guess this is mainly a UNIX SysAdmin question ...
>My ACEDB database is now rather large and I'm experiencing a problem
>with sgifaceserver 4.9f crashing as it trys to grab more memory than the
>user process datasize. I tried to up the datasize limit as root but I
>guess that only lasts as long as the current environment? As soon as the
>server crashes and restarts it inherits the (inadequate) hard limits
>that came with the system.
>Is there any way around this apart from rebuilding the kernel :-(

Depends on the operating system.  In some cases you need to rebuild the
kernel, in others there is some sort of kernel tunable parameter
altering which may or may not require a reboot.  In Tru64 it's the proc
subsystem in sysconfigdb, and you do need to reboot for it to take

I don't know what the limit is for Linux-i386, although there is an
ultimate limit of 4GB RAM per process, due to the 32 bit nature of the
operating system.