Special characters in tags

Richard Durbin rd at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Jan 21 04:09:12 EST 2003

Sorry, I think my view is that it was an oversight that special characters
were ever allowed in tag names.  It was intentional to tighten this up.
Tags are identifiers.  Allowing brackets would confuse the query languages
- certainly AQL and I would imagine also the original query language.  I
suggest you rewrite to e.g. Titer_in_PFU_per_ul and just ug_per_ul etc.

Richard

Brian Fristensky wrote:

> It looks like special characters that were allowed
> in tags as recently as 4.7l are no longer
> allowed, at least in 4.9l. I am specifically
> referring to square brackets '[' and ']'. I've
> tried escaping them in models.wrm (eg. \[) , but that
> still gives errors on Read Models. The examples below
> show why I want to use square brackets as part of tags.
>
> Is this a permanent "feature", or was the loss
> of use of these characters an oversight?
>
> //------------------------------------------------------------------
> ?Phage_Stock     Name Text
>                   Library ?Library XREF Phage_Stock
>                   Host ?Species
>                   Strain Text
>                   Genotype Text
>                   Paper ?Paper
>                   Vector ?Vector
>                   Experiment ?Experiment XREF Phage_Stock
>                   Titer[PFU_per_ul] Float
>                   Freezer Text
>                   Box ?Box XREF Phage_Stock
>                   Gridded ?Grid XREF Phage_Stock
>                   Comment Text
> //------------------------------------------------------------------
> ?DNA_Sample Name Text
>              Experiment ?Experiment XREF DNA_Sample
>              Image   ?Image
>              Accession Text
>              DNA_Type UNIQUE Plasmid ?Plasmid XREF DNA_Sample
>                              Vector ?Vector XREF DNA_Sample
>                              Genomic ?Species
>                              Linear_DNA ?Linear_DNA XREF DNA_Sample
>                              Oligo ?Oligo XREF DNA_Sample
>              Strain UNIQUE   Cultivar Text
>                              Line ?Line XREF DNA_Sample
>                              Transgenic_Line ?Transgenic_Line XREF
> DNA_Sample
>                              Isolate ?Isolate XREF DNA_Sample
>              Concentration   UNIQUE [ug_per_ul] Float
>                                     [umol_per_L] Float
>              Freezer Text
>              Box ?Box XREF DNA_Sample
>              Comments Text
> --
> ======================================
> Brian Fristensky (ON SABBATICAL til July 1, 2003)
> Department of Plant Science
> University of Manitoba
> Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA
> frist at cc.umanitoba.ca
> Sabbatical phone: 204-474-6724
> Voicemail:        204-474-6085
> Home phone:       204-261-3960
> FAX:              204-474-7528
> http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/
> Okay class, our lesson for today is:
>
> The university is NOT a corporation.
> The university is NOT a corporation.
> The university is NOT a corporation.
> The university is NOT a corporation......

Richard Durbin                    The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
email: rd at sanger.ac.uk                   Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/rd/                             Hinxton
phone: 01223 494978                                Cambridge CB10 1SA
fax: 01223 494919                                                  UK