Calling a web browser from xace

Brian Fristensky frist at cc.UManitoba.CA
Wed Jan 22 03:48:07 EST 2003

What is the best way to call a web browser from xace?

1) Pick_me_to_call - This isn't hard to implement
using a wrapper which generates a command like

netscape http://www.acedb.org

The problem is that
if you already have Netscape running on the desktop,
this command tries to launch another instance of
Netscape, and Netscape will ask you to open a new
profile etc., which is messy. Is there a way to
tell an already running copy of Netscape to open
an new window at some URL?

2) Is there an internal function in xace that
lets you call a browser? wdemo/wspec/models.wrm seems
to imply this:

?Url    Url UNIQUE Text // Simple, text of URL
         Template UNIQUE ?Url // use this object as a generic template
         Reference_tag UNIQUE Text // look for this tag in the reffing
object for url
         Remove_prefix UNIQUE Text // prefix to remove to make url
         Remove_postfix UNIQUE Text // postfix to remove to make url
         Prepend UNIQUE Text // then add this to the beginning
         Append UNIQUE Text // then add this to the end
	Web_location UNIQUE ?WWW_server

?WWW_server	Url UNIQUE Text // Simple, text of URL
		Use_name Text // (optional) Classname
		Rewrite Text UNIQUE Text Text UNIQUE Text
		Reference_tag UNIQUE Text // look for this tag in the reffing object
for url

I'm sure usage should be self evident, but it would sure
be nice to have an example.

--
Brian Fristensky (ON SABBATICAL til July 1, 2003)
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sabbatical phone: 204-474-6724
Voicemail:        204-474-6085
Home phone:       204-261-3960