Calling a web browser from xace

Brian Fristensky frist at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Jan 27 03:55:09 EST 2003

Ed Griffiths wrote:

>>2) Is there an internal function in xace that
>>lets you call a browser? wdemo/wspec/models.wrm seems
>>to imply this:
>>
>>?Url    Url UNIQUE Text // Simple, text of URL
>>         Template UNIQUE ?Url // use this object as a generic template
>>         Reference_tag UNIQUE Text // look for this tag in the reffing
>>object for url
>>         Remove_prefix UNIQUE Text // prefix to remove to make url
>>         Remove_postfix UNIQUE Text // postfix to remove to make url
>>         Prepend UNIQUE Text // then add this to the beginning
>>         Append UNIQUE Text // then add this to the end
>>        Web_location UNIQUE ?WWW_server
>>
>>?WWW_server     Url UNIQUE Text // Simple, text of URL
>>                Use_name Text // (optional) Classname
>>                Rewrite Text UNIQUE Text Text UNIQUE Text
>>                Reference_tag UNIQUE Text // look for this tag in the reffing object
>>for url
>>
>>I'm sure usage should be self evident, but it would sure
>>be nice to have an example.
>

> You can also use this way of getting stuff displayed in a browser, a combination
> of reading the comments in wspec/models.wrm and wdoc/url.hmtl distributed with
> the source code should get you started.

I looked at those documents, but some questions remain unanswered:

1) Which tag, exactly, performs the magic that actually calls the
browser? Put another way, which tag would the user click
(analogous to Pick_me_to_call) to tell xace to run the
browser and point it to the specified URL?

I have copied the generic ?Url and ?WWW_server models
into my own models.wrm file. I have added a line to
options.wrm saying:

_VUrl -DWWW // also tried adding -V

and I can create Url objects,
but the Url objects don't do anything.

2) Somewhere, there has to be a way to tell xace which
command to run to call a browser. There is something that
will be unique to a given system eg. /usr/local/netscape/netscape,
/usr/lib/netscape/netscape and many other possibilities.
I was able to find wscript/Mosaic and wscript/Mosaic.csh,
but haven't seen any evidence that one of these is
called by xace. Clicking on various tags and text items in
within a Url object, or an object containing a Url reference,
does nothing. That is, there aren't even error messages.

======================================
Brian Fristensky (ON SABBATICAL til July 1, 2003)
Department of Plant Science
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca