?Gene is reserved?

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Thu Apr 1 03:07:07 EST 2004

Ed Griffiths wrote:
> Nicolas,
>
>> just curious about this: it appears that you cannot define your own
>> class named ?Gene with acedb 4.9t
>> this worked with an old 4.9g though
>>
>> example:
>> models.wrm contains only:
>> ?Gene proteins Text
>>
>> and bad.ace contains:
>> Gene : "YWHAG"
>> proteins "P35214"
>>
>> parsing the ace file with 4.9t gives error: "missing model of class Gene"
>> 4.9g eats it up fine, and replacing Gene with Gene1 in models and ace
>> file works also with 4.9t
>

> With the current development code this works and it should do, as far as
> I know there is no list of reserved class names and if there is "Gene"
> should not be on it.
>
> Something to watch out for (because I tripped over it ;-) is that I have
> a subclass "Gene" defined in my test database which I didn't know about.
> You should make sure you don't have one.
>
> Its likely that behaviour of the code has changed because Simn tinkered
> around in the subclass code when he was adding Composite classes:
>
> http://www.acedb.org/winfo/Newsletters/Year2003/October.html#superclass
>
> cheers Ed

hi Ed, thanks for your quick answer

but, err, no that's not the source of the problem, my subclasses.wrm is
empty.
In fact, if I 'grep Gene *' in wspec, all I get is a few hits in
help.wrm, the models.wrm line, and one line in options.wrm (_VGene  -V
-D TREE -T Title)...
In fact this is a tiny and simple database, it's actually an assignment
I gave my students, so potential sources of errors are few.

But anyways, I just downloaded today's 4.9z build and it works fine
where 4.9t fails. So apparently this is a bug in the "stable" 4.9t that
has been corrected since then....

a bientot
nicolas

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
Laboratoire LSR-IMAG, BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
tel : (33/0)4-76-63-55-79, fax : (33/0)4-76-63-55-50