"gifaceserver: Hangup"

Ed Griffiths edgrif at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 08:23:29 EST 2004

jingyu,

> I think I have a problem on our gifaceserver, because our /var/adm/messages
> file gives me such messages:

> Dec 23 03:40:07 CRICK inetd[160]: [ID 858011 daemon.warning]
> /usr/local/scripts_acedb/gifaceserver: Hangup
> Dec 23 03:46:47 CRICK inetd[160]: [ID 858011 daemon.warning]
> /usr/local/scripts_acedb/gifaceserver: Hangup
> Dec 23 03:53:25 CRICK inetd[160]: [ID 858011 daemon.warning]
> /usr/local/scripts_acedb/gifaceserver: Hangup
> Dec 23 04:00:05 CRICK inetd[160]: [ID 858011 daemon.warning]
> /usr/local/scripts_acedb/gifaceserver: Hangup
> Dec 23 04:06:46 CRICK inetd[160]: [ID 858011 daemon.warning]
> /usr/local/scripts_acedb/gifaceserver: Hangup
> Dec 23 04:13:26 CRICK inetd[160]: [ID 858011 daemon.warning]
> /usr/local/scripts_acedb/gifaceserver: Hangup
>
> Has anyone met the same problem?
> How can I stop it (it seems to start every 5-6 minutes, then hang up)?
> Could you tell me what causes this, so that I can avoid it happen again?

What I can tell you is that inetd is a system utility that starts up named
servers (see /etc/inetd.conf) whenever a request is made to the named servers
normal port (see /etc/services). It looks like something has happened to make
gifaceserver crash so that each time inetd tries to start it, it crashes again.

So, two things:

1) we do not support gifaceserver any more, only sgifaceserver which is a
sockets based version of the server.

2) Without a bit more information is is not possible to help you anyway, you
would need to provide the entries for the server in /etc/services and
/etc/inetd.conf and what version of acedb server you are using and what happens
when you try to run the server in the foreground.

I'm sorry, I can't really help you with gifaceserver, we haven't supported it
for some years now. If you swop to sgifaceserver then I'll do what I can, you
need to read the socket server documentation at:

http://www.acedb.org/Development/wdoc/Socket_Server/SOCKET_aceserver.html

before you start setting it up.

|        Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,  |
| email: edgrif at sanger.ac.uk  Tel: +44-1223-494780  Fax: +44-1223-494919 |