[Acedb-soft] acediff bug

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Thu Feb 16 11:55:49 EST 2006

hi all,

I've run into what looks like a bug in acediff.
This happens with all versions I've tested, ie today's daily build and
the current supported build, both with dynamically linked binaries. I've
also tested the current supported static build, same result.
All of this, on linux (FC4, kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 on a pentium4 system)

Here is a tiny example to illustrate the problem:
$ more wspec/models.wrm
?Interaction Bait UNIQUE ?Text
              Prey UNIQUE ?Text
              fns

$ more test1.ace
Interaction : "test1"
Bait "bait1"
Prey "prey1"

$ more test2.ace
Interaction : "test1"
Bait "bait1"
Prey "prey1"
fns

$ ace.supported/acediff test1.ace test2.ace
reading file 1 - 4 lines read - sorting file 1
reading file 2 - 6 lines read - sorting file 2
performing diff - sorting diff
// acediff difference from test1.ace to test2.ace

Interaction "test1"
Prey "prey1"
fns
-D Prey "prey1"

// end of file

As you can see, acediff adds the Prey, then deletes it. After parsing
the acediff output, I've obviously lost my Prey info.

Funny thing is, if you replace "fns" with "Fns" it's OK...
But if you use a different tag you get strange behaviours.
eg, using "a_A", acediff also kills the Bait!
As far as I can tell (but I haven't tested it much), it works OK when
the tag starts with an uppercase letter.

Is something wrong with my files or ace binaries??

A+
nicolas