Computers in forest research newsgroup

Mon Dec 9 17:23:44 EST 1991

> Excuse me for jumping in on this thread -- but regarding your comment that
> a parallel mail list exists for US Forest Service employees to participate
> indirectly with USENET.

This is slightly out of context.  Each of the bionet USENET newsgroups
has a parallel mailing list.  There is nothing specifically set up for
the Forest Service.  However, if anyone in the Forest Service can
send/receive mail from our host computer on the Internet
(genbank.bio.net) then they can participate in the bionet newsgroups
via e-mail.  This does not apply to USENET newsgroups in general.

> Could you elaborate, or steer me in the direction
> where I could find more information?  I am sitting in the midst of Region
> One and I know that the Forest Service personnel I regularly see use the
> Forest Service's DECNET (or something like that).  Would it be possible for
> me to send messages to those folks via USENET? or even via INTERNET?

Only if one of their computers on DECNET also has a link into the
Internet.  I don't know the answer to that one.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net