Woody agriculture: chestnut/hazlenut coppicing

Hank Roberts hank at well.sf.ca.us
Mon Jul 29 20:19:53 EST 1991

An old friend, not on the Net, will be visiting soon. He's involved
with the American Chestnut Foundation (reviving the blighted species here)
and with nut growers worldwide. He's visiting the (Oregon) Northern Nug
Growers in early August, then flying to China for a program in mid-August.

Meanwhile he'll be here and get a tour of the net. Questions invited; if
anyone's interested in the area I'd like to introduce you and him online.

He's working on replacing corn/wheat/soybeans with nut trees like the
hazelnut which are fire-adapted, and can be harvested using blueberry
machinery (shaking the nuts loose). The trees are coppiced, and cut back
every few years as though they'd been in a natural fire, to regrow.

Yields and price to farmer look better (while these are still a delicacy
nut, at least) than for standard crops; there's ground cover year round,
better for erosion control; coppice wood is salable/burnable.

Questions welcome to this account -- better email as well as post since
the bionet group lasts only about 24-48 hours on my host system and
I don't want to miss comments.