Hazelnuts advice please

psyc285 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz psyc285 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jul 31 18:31:41 EST 1991

I have a block of land west of Christchurch in the south Island of New Zealand.
The predominant wind is a dry nor-wester but shelter can be provided by Pinus
radiata which thrives in this climate. Rainfall is about 60mm per year and I
can
supplement this be trickle irrigation. Summers tend to be hot and dry with
temps
noon temps averaging about 18 - 26 degrees celsius, and daylight reaching a
maximum of 16 hours. Winters are cold with frequent southerly winds producing a
day temp of around 6 to 12 degrees celsius. Frosts on and off for around 50
days
with minimum temp reaching minus 6 degrees. Frosts seldom last more than 8
hours.

Soil is neutral sandy loam approx half metre deep with shingle sub stratum. I
have a full soil analysis and maintain fertility with additional fertiliser if
required.

This is the type of soil and region that is renown for its cereal crops, mostly
wheat, barley, oats. Most crops and plants grow well, but the wind is a
concern,
which is why I would need a good windbreak.

I have a small area which I would like to coppice with Hazelnuts, for household
use not commercially. Can you suggest a variety which is worth experimenting
with in this type of climate. I am happy to experiment with a small block.

Thankyou very much for any advice.

Ijan Beveridge    Christchurch New Zealand.