Woody agriculture: chestnut/hazlenut coppicing

Paul Viscuso viscuso at galileo.tc.cornell.edu
Tue Jul 30 15:59:27 EST 1991

This reminds of a book that I just finished reading, called
"Tree Crops" by Joseph Russell Smith.  Originally written in
1929 with a second edition in the 50's, Smith seems tireless
in his pursuit of using tree crops instead of or with the more
traditional agricultural crops for human and animal forage.  He
does address the erosion problem, especially concerning corn.
Perhaps Smith was way ahead of his time, or simply trying to get
back to good basics.  It's certainly worth reading.
Paul Viscuso