references on density dependence of trees (repost)

mnummelin at cc.helsinki.fi mnummelin at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Feb 11 00:38:44 EST 1992

From: BTNYMWP at OSUCC.bitnet
Newsgroups: bionet.population-bio
Subject: references on density dependence in trees

I am currently teaching General Ecology (at a very
elementary level).  For one of our labs, we studied
the growth of eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana)
over the past year on permanently marked plots.  Growth
rates and recruitment for the cedars are truly impressive.
  The reasons for doing this lab are threefold: 1) to
get students into the field, 2) to introduce the use
and calculation of correlation coefficients, and 3) to
test whether growth, recruitment, mortality, etc. is
density dependent.  The students will be writing up
the results of this lab in a somewhat formal style.
  The reason I am posting this message is that I
would like to recommend to the students a few references.
I am familiar with some of the 3/2 thinning curve literature,
and with some of the more mathematical and/or theoretical
literature.  However, this would be too much for my
students.  Does anyone know any reasonably accessible
papers on density dependence in plants, particularly density-
dependent growth and/or recruitment? (Much of the literature is
on mortality, which is nonexistent in our population).
  Thank you VERY MUCH.

 |                                                    |
 |                                                    |
 |_______________________                             |
Michael W. Palmer        |                *           |
Department of Botany     |               OSU           \
Oklahoma State University|                              |
Stillwater, OK 74078     |                              |
  Bitnet: BTNYMWP at OSUCC  |                              |
                         |  Believe it or not, there are|
  Phone: 405-744-7717    |  trees in Oklahoma.          |