SURVEY ON BIOLOGY JOB ACQUISITION: PLEASE RESPOND!!

jimdb at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu jimdb at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Mar 10 22:59:47 EST 1992

As part of a series of discussions in the Department of Entomology
at the University of Kansas, we have come up with a questionnaire
that addresses the relative merits of a variety of experiences in
getting a faculty position at universities.  We would like to
compare the responses from those people who are on staff at larger
universities where research may be more valued versus those who are
on the faculty at smaller, teaching-oriented schools.  If you would
be interested in filling out brief (or longer, if you wish)
response to me, I will compile the replies and post them to this
newsgroup.  We are obviously primarily interested in information
regarding positions in biology, but any scientific field would be
great.  Thanks for your help!!

Name of institution at which you work:

Approximate number of students in the institution:

How would you classify your institution? (eg: research-based,
     teaching-oriented, etc...):

Assign percentages which reflect the typical expected effort for
faculty at your institution (totalling to 100%):
----% RESEARCH      -----% TEACHING     ------% ADMINISTRATIVE

Please give each of the following items a rating as to its relative
importance in acquiring a "typical" (whatever that may mean)
faculty position in your institution -- 5 = extremely important,
1 = unimportant.  We are interested in realistic answers, so please
answer according to what is considered in practice, NOT what should
be considered in theory.

TEACHING HISTORY
Teaching experience, length of time               =
Teaching experience, diversity of courses         =
Teaching record, quality                          =
Teaching methods, type or philosophy of teaching  =

ACADEMIC HISTORY
Undergraduate G.P.A.                              =
Undergraduate alma mater (does the school matter?)=
Graduate school G.P.A.                            =
Graduate alma mater (does the school matter?)     =
Biology G.P.A.                                    =

RESEARCH HISTORY
Number of publications                            =
Quality of publications                           =
Quality of journals in which you were published   =
Thesis/dissertation quality                       =
Grants received, quantity                         =
Grants received, sources                          =
Diversity of research history, subjects           =

What are some of the qualities of applications which seem to rise
to the top and in the process separate the applicant from the rest
of the pack? (answer as much or as little as you would like)

Any other comments or advice for prospective candidates?

Thanks very much for your help in this survey, we greatly
appreciate your time.

Please respond to: JIMDB at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (internet)
                   JIMDB at ukanvax (bitnet)--
Jim Danoff-Burg     (Snow Museum, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045)
Bitnet: JIMDB at UKANVAX                Internet:jimdb at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
"Myrmecophiles-R-Us"